- LACK MENTAL FITNESS
- LACK OF BELIEF IN THEIR PHYSICAL FITNESS
- THEIR WHY LACKS CONVICTION
- THEY PLAY FROM A STATE OF FEAR
NOT MENTALLY FIT FOR CLAY
Their mentality is that clay should conform to their style of play. Instead, if they were mentally fit, they would recognize the need to adapt their game to win on this surface.
There is no instant gratification with clay and forget expectations of winning quick points. Understanding and accepting that the surface neutralizes the sting of their shots and being willing to endure some physical and mental suffering on court are necessities for winning on clay.
PHYSICALLY NOT FIT FOR CLAY
There is no way around this, you have to be physically fit to grind on clay. When you would normally get some cheap and easy points with your serve and best shots, on clay those shots are less effective. Playing tactical tennis is required to win the point, and you have to be absolutely clear on your strategy.
What is the first thing to suffer when fatigue sets in? You lose clarity and start making some poor shot selections. You want the points to end quickly because you cannot take another step, because you are that tired. Americans need endurance training to play on clay and based on their results over the years, that is clearly lacking in their arsenal.Embed from Getty Images
THEIR WHY LACKS CONVICTION
If you genuinely want something, try these six steps:
- Learn all you can about that thing [from the right source]
- Create an effective and realistic plan to achieve that thing
- Commit to getting that thing
- Consistently do the work to gain that thing
- Accept that there will be some bumps along the way
- Gain knowledge from those bumps and mistakes
LEARN FROM JIM COURIER
Play with a desire to win, not a fear of losing. When you step on court believing that you can win, you increase the probability of winning. When you step on court thinking I hope I don’t lose, you have already lost.
- “I will give my best effort to win”.
- “I will play with an open mind and heart for the opportunities to play my best tennis”.
- “I am fully committed to making the sacrifice and tolerating some discomfort”.
- “I will play without any attachment to the outcome”.
Here is the secret, if you have truly played with a positive attitude and you lose, you still win. You played from a place of love instead of fear.