MY TWO CENTS: I admire and appreciate any player who wants to continue playing well past their prime; however, I think one should retire if they answer yes to three or more of my retirement statements.
- You are physically incapable due to increased frequency of injuries and/or persistent ailment.
- You are losing more than 50% of the matches played.
- You are losing to players you previously dominated.
- You are no longer able to close out your matches because you have lost the psychological edge.
- Your once lethal shots are no longer weapons you can rely on.
- You have lost interest, tennis is no longer your number one priority.
I am all for leaving on your own terms; however, there comes a point of diminishing returns, when even the most determined player must call it quits.